Architecture, Art, History

Destroyed Monument: Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Rostov-on-Don

ruined2Image 1: Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, 1920s Author Unknown, Ростов-на-Дону Александро-Невский Собор – https://pastvu.com/p/178330, Public Domain.Александро-Невский_собор_(Ростов-на-Дону)Image 2: In 1919 By открытка изд. Р.Рубанчик, Ростов-на-Дону – https://pastvu.com/p/534338, Public Domain.

Construction of Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Rostov-on-Don began in 1881 and ended in 1908. Unfortunately, it only stood two more decades. The communist Red Army, victors of the Russian Civil War (1917-1918), destroyed churches and other symbols of Orthodox Christianity, a religion that symbolized the defeated Tsarist regime. In the late 20s, a Red star replaced the central cross. In the early 30s, the communists razed the church.

In the old square stands this monument:

IMG_4904

The caption reads: «На этом месте в 1909 году завершилось возведение храма во имя святого благоверного князя Александра Невского по проекту академика архитектуры А.А. Ященко. Храм разрушен в 1930 году.»

In English: “Here, in 1909, the construction of the temple in the name of the Holy Prince Alexander Nevsky was completed, according to the design of the Academician A.A. Yashchenko. The temple was destroyed in 1930. ”

Sources:
“Alexander Nevsky Church: The Lost Pearl of Rostov.” RsLovar. http://rslovar.com/content/александро-невский-храм-утраченная-жемчужина-ростова (accessed: February 20, 2019).
Alexander Ilyin, History of the city of Rostov-on-Don, Rostov-on-Don, 2006, p. 86.
History

oldhelmAn iron helmet from the 8th century, discovered in Malai, a section of the Kuibyshev rural settlement.

Original caption: Шлем. Железо. XIII в. хут. Малаи.

Origin: Archaeology of Krasnodar Krai, Weapons and Armor Collection, E.D. Felitsyna Krasnodar State Historical and Archaeological Museum-Reserve, Krasnodar, Russia.

History

upclose

Close-up of a 16th to early 19th century helmet featuring intricate carvings of cavalrymen. It has chainmail hanging from the bottom edge, used to cover the neck and shoulders. In Russian, this chainmail covering is called barmitsa (бармица), known in English as an aventail or camail.

Original caption: Шлем с бармицей. Железо. XVI – начало XIX в. Из дореволюционных поступлений.

Origin: Russian Armor, Krasnodar Historical Museum Armor Collection, E.D. Felitsyna Krasnodar State Historical and Archaeological Museum-Reserve, Krasnodar, Russia.